Thursday, August 11, 2011

I got a new toy!

Look at my new toy! Isn't she a beaut!?! My sweet, wonderful, generous boyfriend knew how much I have been longing for a Digital SLR camera. So on Tuesday (which was HIS birthday btw) he decided that we should go on a "fact finding mission" at the camera store...needless to say it ended up being more of a "buy it today mission" The clincher was that since we bought it at a mom n' pop type store, the owner said he would answer as many questions as I could come up with and basically give me free lessons on how to use my camera. Considering I don't know the first thing about photography, it was a big bonus...and not the kind of service you could get at a "big box store". Also it was on sale and they had a smokin' deal on an extra lens. It's actually my birthday present two months early...and pretty much the best bday present ever, so I can definitely make the excitement last for two months! I've been wanting a DSLR for YEARS and I've especially wanted one lately to take nice pictures of my cards for my blog. I also want to learn the ins and outs of it by the time I have some bambinos to take pictures of...My goal is to never need to take my kids to the Sears portrait studio because I'll be able to take professional quality photos DIY style.... I know I have a long way to go. Considering I just learned what aperture and Fstop mean TODAY via YouTube! VERY long way to go. But I will get there. So without further ado here are some of my first tries at photography.

This is the birthday card that I made for Scott for the birthday on which he bought ME a (really big) present. What a weirdo! But I sure do love my weirdo! It turns out I really don't have a lot of masculine stamps so I fear that this one came out a little "little boy-ish". But I wrote some really nice stuff inside so I don't think he minded :) ( Note-to-self: Buy manly stamps!)
Here is Lilly. Or "Miss Priss" as we sometimes like to call her because she is constantly laying like this with her paws crossed. She is so fancy.
And this little stinker is Maggie. We affectionately refer to her as Maggie Moo...among many other names. Don't let her innocent face fool you... she is thoroughly ROTTEN! Also FYI, I black and whited the photos for the sole reason of hiding the nasty bright blue shag carpet in our house :)
I will be back this weekend with some more (oh-so-fancy-DSLR) pictures of some more cards I've made recently. So does anyone have any digital photography tips for this newbie? I'd love to hear some!

3 comments:

carol (krillsister) said...

What a great boyfriend. I'd say he is a keeper. Enjoy your new toy.

Leigh Penner said...

Fun! Enjoy your new camera!

Mad for Paper said...

Wow, what a great gift. I always feel better going to a mom and pop rather than the big box store. You could probably go in there at any time and get the help you need.
TFS
Ang